ANNOUNCEMENT: Summerhill Orchestra is now accepting applications for Assistant Conductor (volunteer)
Position: Assistant Conductor (volunteer)
Reports to: Music Director
Starting Date: TBD-Fall 2021
Deadline for applications: Friday, July 16, 2021
This position was created to offer students of conducting more opportunity to work with a full orchestra in all aspects of preparing performances. In addition to these conducting opportunities the AC will receive a small honorarium.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as cover conductor for rehearsals and concerts as assigned for 2021-2022 season.
- This includes personal preparation of all scores and providing feedback on artistic matters relating to repertory (balance, intonation, dynamics, ensemble issues, etc.). May be asked to coach sectional rehearsals.
- Administration: Participate in planning and administrative meetings as needed.
- Library: Preparation, distribution and maintenance of performance materials for the orchestra.
- Performance: Rehearse and conduct a short piece in each of two concerts with Summerhill Orchestra as part of their regular season. Concert dates and repertoire to be decided by Music Director and Concertmaster.
- Recordings: The Assistant conductor will be offered an opportunity to rehearse Summerhill Orchestra in two short reading/rehearsal sessions during the season in order to obtain video recordings for use in grants and school/employment applications.
- Candidates should possess meaningful conducting experience and broad knowledge of orchestral repertoire and concert programming.
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in orchestral/instrumental or choral conducting preferred.
- Fluent in English and able to communicate effectively to musicians, staff and a wide range of audience members.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills that engage audiences of all ages.
- Highly effective organizational skills and self-motivating drive to consistently meet deadlines
- Provide assistance to the Production/Artistic staff with various projects such as program/music research and auditions as needed.
- Possess a deep appreciation for, understanding of and sensitivity to the needs of community musicians.
Individuals should submit a cover letter describing what they hope to receive from the experience, current résumé with repertoire list, and contact information for three professional references. Candidates will be contacted for an interview as well as conducting audition: Dates/times TBD
All applications must be received by Friday, July 16, 2021
Applications should be sent to email@example.com
About our orchestra
Summerhill Orchestra will soon embark on its fourth season under the direction of conductor and artistic director, Sarah John. The orchestra meets to rehearse Monday evenings 7:30-10pm at The Church of the Messiah in downtown Toronto. The orchestra performs concerts three times a season.
The Summerhill Orchestra is a not-for-profit community organization that operates thanks to financial and in-kind contributions. ALL proceeds from ticket sales, membership contributions and sponsorships directly benefit the orchestra. Our community orchestra is comprised of musicians of all backgrounds, both professional and amateur, who gather weekly in a journey to explore rich and varied musical works.